During each presentation, I have learned something new. Peter denied knowing Jesus three times but said he loved Jesus three time as well. James the Greater was one of three to see Jesus’ Transfiguration (Catholic Online, director). James the Lesser was the author of the first Catholic Epistle and was the first Bishop in Jerusalem. John was the only disciple that did not die a violent death, but a natural cause. Andrew passed away by being crucified in an “X” shake because he felt that he was not worthy of being crucified the same way as Jesus. Bartholomew/Nathanael was known for miracles related to weighted objects. Judas was known for being the disciple that has betrayed Jesus by disclosing Jesus’ whereabouts for 30 pieces of silver. Matthias was not part of the original twelve disciples. Jude was crucified and was shot with arrows and his remains are buried in Rome. Matthew was a tax collector before becoming a disciple, which meant he switched the perspective of his job from greedy to doing good as a disciple. Philip’s remains were in Hierapolis, Turkey, but later moved to Rome. Simon the Zealot was known to be very dedicated to his religion, which is why Jesus chose him to be a disciple. Thomas was a doubtful disciple and was accidentally shot. I enjoyed learning the deeper story of each disciple. Before this class, I did not know much about the lives of each disciple.
I found the disciple John was the most interesting. My presentation focused on James the Greater and James the Lesser, so I realized James the Greater was brothers with John. John lived an ordinary life before becoming a disciple and sewed nets. John was later called by Jesus to be one of His disciples while sewing nets. Similarly, James the Greater was a fisherman and was called by Jesus while fishing. John and Peter were the ones sent to prepare for the Last Supper. I also found it interesting that he is the only disciple to die of a natural cause and not a violent death.
I had noticed that people who follow Jesus, such as the disciples, were martyred, or died for their beliefs. Most disciples also continued spreading their beliefs, such as spreading news of Jesus (James the Greater) or having a leading role in the church at Jerusalem (John). The disciples also lived a normal life before becoming one of Jesus’ disciples. The most common occupations before becoming a disciple was a fisherman or tax collector. There were a variety of ways of how the disciples were called. For instance, Peter’s brother told him about Jesus, while John was called while sewing nets. After passing away, the disciples' remains were spread all over the world.
I feel that the characteristics I display are standing up for and spreading something I strongly believe in. Growing up, I was taught to stand up for myself, others, and things I strongly believe in. I was taught to act the way Jesus would while standing up for my beliefs. Now that I have grown and do not need to be constantly reminded of acting like Jesus, I teach my younger brother to act according to how Jesus did. There are other subjects, topics, or messages that I try to spread to my friends, such as positivity and happiness. These messages or topics correlate with Jesus’ teachings and messages.
![]() |
| This image shows Christ with His disciples. Christ taught His disciples His teachings. (Christ with His Disciples) |
Works Cited
Christ with His Disciples . Fine Art. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016. quest.eb.com/search/108_262162/1/108_262162/cite. Accessed 25 Jan 2018.
Catholic Online, director. St. James the Greater HD. St. James the Greater HD, CatholicOnline.org, 10 May 2016, www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPmp1CkEQgM&feature=youtu.be.

Comments
Post a Comment