Skip to main content

Who is Jesus?

Growing up, I have always attended a Catholic school, so I know quite a lot about Jesus prior to the "Living with the Gospel" class.  I also grew up in a Catholic family, which helped me establish a strong relationship with Jesus.  Throughout elementary and middle school, I have learned about Jesus' teachings, miracles, and parables.  When Jesus was brought down to Earth by God, He performed many miracles and spread the word of the God.  He received many followers, along with many nonbelievers.  He is our Savior who died for us to forgive our sins.  


Image result for jesus art
This painting depicts how Jesus guides us from the
  early stages of our life.  His love knows no boundary,
He guides us until we grow old enough to teach
other people of God's love.
Since I have a strong relationship with Jesus already, so far this unit has not influenced my thoughts about Him.  My memory has been refreshed of the different names He is called in the Bible, such as "Son of Man," "Creator" and "Good Sheperd."  Behind the variety of names He has, there are meanings that I have learned.  For instance, Jesus is given the name "Good Shepherd" because we are His sheep and he protects us.  I also was reminded of the Trinity and their meanings.  God is our Father who created everyone and sent Jesus down to Earth for us.  The Son is Jesus who is our savior, or Messiah, spread the word of God, and died for everyone.  The Holy Spirit is something we cannot see but we can feel it and it is our guide to choose from right or wrong.  I believe this class will give me a better understanding of Jesus and will strengthen our relationship.  This class will also help me expand my knowledge of Jesus and his works.

Jesus to me is both a spiritual figure and a historical figure.  Throughout my life, I grew up believing in Jesus and His purposes.  Every day I would pray to Him and every Friday, I would have prayer meetings with family friends.  He represents a spiritual figure to his followers and believers today.  I believe He is also historical figure because people today still learn about his intentions and stories here on Earth.  He is a popular figure and is known by all people. 




I believe I have a strong relationship with Jesus that grows stronger every day.  Although I do not attend Mass every Sunday, I know I can connect to Jesus through other ways, such as prayer.  Every day, I would tell Him about my day and pray to Him.  He taught me many topics, such as love, and is always there to protect me.  This video is what I grew up with and taught me how much God loves us.  I influence my brother to watch this video to understand that God loves every individual.  Jesus' love for us is unconditional and unexplainable.  Every time I pray, I know I have a sincere connection with Him and it changes me.  Jesus also influences and inspires me to give back to the community.  During the months of July and August 2017, I gave back to my community in the Philippines by serving in Saint Rita's Orphanage and in Dominican Sisters Aeta Ministry.  Jesus is a big part of my life and has influenced all of the decisions that I made.  Without His guidance, I believe I would not have become the woman I am today. 




“God Loves Me - Veggietales(web).mov.” YouTube,uploaded by Ernie Aragon Jr., 1 December 2008, https://youtu.be/3ch239kCT3Q

Jesus Christ Org. "Why is Jesus Called the Good Shepherd?" Jesus Christ Savior and Redeemer, https://jesus.christ.org/questions-answers-about-jesus-christ/why-is-jesus-called-the-good-shepherd.  Accessed Sept 10 2017.

Olsen, Greg. “Take My Hand.” Title of the website, Fine Art America, fineartamerica.com, https://fineartamerica.com/featured/take-my-hand-greg-olsen.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

     Prayer is a time to communicate with God. We use this time to converse many things, such as what we are grateful for or in times of need. To pray, an individual needs to find the right time. People can turn to prayer in dark or tough times, but prayer can be done when you are going through happy phases too. We related the list of things we are grateful for to help us with our daily prayers. There are also different types of prayers. There are silent or personal prayers where individuals recognize God's presence in silence. Lectio Divina is when individuals listen and discuss the Scripture. Written prayers are physically made by individuals, which is a letter to God. Written prayers can be done daily, which is known as journaling. There are two types of prayer meditation: guided meditation (leader guides) and personal meditation (silent or with music). Recited prayers consist of praying the rosary or reciting prayers such as the "Our Father." People can express their ...

The Beatitudes

     In this unit, I learned the Beatitudes are from the New Testament and is different from the Ten Commandments to an extent. On the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught his disciples the eight Beatitudes, which are the things and acts individuals should do. In the Old Testament, the Ten Commandments are things an individual should avoid and not follow. The Beatitudes can also be seen as "guidelines for happiness." The Beatitudes is a guideline for people to act and follow. This is a resemblance of what God hoped for us to be. This image represents Jesus teaching the Beatitudes. This shows the origin of how the Beatitudes were taught. (Fairchild, Mary) Labeled for non-commercial reuse      The beatitude that resonates with me is: "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." This beatitude states that individuals should always be gentle and humbly accept that we need God in everythi...

Discipleship

During each presentation, I have learned something new. Peter denied knowing Jesus three times but said he loved Jesus three time as well. James the Greater was one of three to see Jesus’ Transfiguration ( Catholic Online, director) . James the Lesser was the author of the first Catholic Epistle and was the first Bishop in Jerusalem. John was the only disciple that did not die a violent death, but a natural cause. Andrew passed away  by being crucified in an “X” shake because he felt that he was not worthy of being crucified the same way as Jesus. Bartholomew/Nathanael was known for miracles related to weighted objects. Judas was known for being the disciple that has betrayed Jesus by disclosing Jesus’ whereabouts for 30 pieces of silver. Matthias was not part of the original twelve disciples. Jude was crucified and was shot with arrows and his remains are buried in Rome. Matthew was a tax collector before becoming a disciple, which meant he switched the perspective of his job fro...