Skip to main content

Suffering

During this unit, the apostles mostly suffered from the criticism of what they believed in. In the "Apostles Heal Many" (Acts 5:12-41), Peter did not stop teaching even after he was beaten for his religion. The "In Corinth" (Acts 18:1-17) story explains that the apostle, Paul, preached to Jews and Greeks and was constantly opposed. God came in his dream and told him to not give up preaching. Also, in the story "Paul Preaches at Rome Under Guard" (Acts 28:17-31), Paul moved to another area to continue preaching about God. Paul is a primary example of an apostle who suffered greatly, trying to spread the Word of God and his beliefs. Even if others opposed of his teachings, he continued to do what he believed in and had strong faith in God.

I found the story the "Apostles Heal Many" (Acts 5:12-41) was the most inspiring. Since the High Priest was jealous of the apostles curing others, they were thrown in prison. This shows injustice for those who do good in the world. God then pulled them out of jail so they can continue healing and teaching others. Even though Peter was beaten, he did not stop teaching. This shows and is a reminder that God is always by your side and to never give up faith in Him because he always has a plan for you. Also, the acts of the Apostles showed to never give up on publicising the right thing to do and spread it.

I have experienced many challenges in my life, especially now that I am growing and coming closer to college. Each year keeps getting harder and harder, and I have heard that it does not get any easier. In my family, I have the highest expectations and it is very noticeable. I face the challenge of maintaining good grades and doing well in sports. Since I am expected to meet certain expectations in school, I am always very tired after studying and staying up late and sports is just another contribution to why I stay up late as well. Every year I tell myself to do better in time management, but I believe that I am doing everything in my power to get things done on time. It is just the excess pressure of doing well in school that I continue to study every chance that I get. I get the feeling that I will soon regret not going out more and having fun in high school, but I am still burdened by the expectations. I am currently in the process of arranging my priorities.

I am blessed enough to have many people in my life to turn to in times of need, such as family, friends, and teachers. These people, or groups of people, are individuals that I can trust. For instance, I can trust my mother with anything. We have a very tight mother-daughter bond, so I tell her everything. It has always been a practice of mine to tell her everything about my day, including the smallest things. On the other hand, if I have issues that my mother cannot relate to, I turn to friends or teachers. Everyone has different experiences with challenges, so it is always good to branch out to other people in times of need. Others who face similar challenges are people who I tend to turn to for advice.

Christ Teaching the Apostles in the Heavenly Jerusalem...
This is an image of Christ teaching His Apostles. The Apostles continued
to teach the Word of God even through their times of suffering and stayed loyal
to their teacher. (Christ Teaching)

Works Cited
Christ Teaching the Apostles in the Heavenly Jerusalem (Christ Enthroned With the Apostles or Christ in Majesty). Fine Art. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016. 
quest.eb.com/search/135_859331/1/135_859331/cite. Accessed 8 Feb 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

     Prayer is a time to communicate with God. We use this time to converse many things, such as what we are grateful for or in times of need. To pray, an individual needs to find the right time. People can turn to prayer in dark or tough times, but prayer can be done when you are going through happy phases too. We related the list of things we are grateful for to help us with our daily prayers. There are also different types of prayers. There are silent or personal prayers where individuals recognize God's presence in silence. Lectio Divina is when individuals listen and discuss the Scripture. Written prayers are physically made by individuals, which is a letter to God. Written prayers can be done daily, which is known as journaling. There are two types of prayer meditation: guided meditation (leader guides) and personal meditation (silent or with music). Recited prayers consist of praying the rosary or reciting prayers such as the "Our Father." People can express their ...

The Beatitudes

     In this unit, I learned the Beatitudes are from the New Testament and is different from the Ten Commandments to an extent. On the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught his disciples the eight Beatitudes, which are the things and acts individuals should do. In the Old Testament, the Ten Commandments are things an individual should avoid and not follow. The Beatitudes can also be seen as "guidelines for happiness." The Beatitudes is a guideline for people to act and follow. This is a resemblance of what God hoped for us to be. This image represents Jesus teaching the Beatitudes. This shows the origin of how the Beatitudes were taught. (Fairchild, Mary) Labeled for non-commercial reuse      The beatitude that resonates with me is: "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." This beatitude states that individuals should always be gentle and humbly accept that we need God in everythi...

Discipleship

During each presentation, I have learned something new. Peter denied knowing Jesus three times but said he loved Jesus three time as well. James the Greater was one of three to see Jesus’ Transfiguration ( Catholic Online, director) . James the Lesser was the author of the first Catholic Epistle and was the first Bishop in Jerusalem. John was the only disciple that did not die a violent death, but a natural cause. Andrew passed away  by being crucified in an “X” shake because he felt that he was not worthy of being crucified the same way as Jesus. Bartholomew/Nathanael was known for miracles related to weighted objects. Judas was known for being the disciple that has betrayed Jesus by disclosing Jesus’ whereabouts for 30 pieces of silver. Matthias was not part of the original twelve disciples. Jude was crucified and was shot with arrows and his remains are buried in Rome. Matthew was a tax collector before becoming a disciple, which meant he switched the perspective of his job fro...