Skip to main content

Growth

     I found "The Protestant Reformation and the Break with Catholicism" as one of the most interesting presentations from the Church History textbook. I found this interesting because I learned a small portion of this topic during my freshman year in history class. I found it interesting that the Church started indulgences, which was paying to forgive an individual's sins. During the presentation, I began to think if I would make a difference in the community if I lived during the 1500s. I applaud Martin Luther for creating the famous 95 Theses that changed the Church's ways and Church History. Since the Catholic Church had a major impact on life in history, because some places integrated Catholicism with government, I would have liked to live during this time period to see other Christian Churches to form and witness the people's reactions.
     Saint Thomas Aquinas was, personally, one of the most interesting people that I learned about in the Church History textbook. St. Thomas Aquinas was a scholar who wrote about bringing science and religion together, which were two topics that were in conflict. St. Thomas Aquinas wrote the Summa Theologica to harmonize the teachings of the Catholic Church (faith) and Aristotle's teachings (reason) together. Those who work hard to bring two conflicting topics together interest me because of the impact they try to make on the world. He wanted to show how the world not only should bring two very important topics together but also that individuals do not have to "choose" what side to believe in because they go hand-in-hand and complement each other. Science and religion have greatly evolved today and St. Thomas Aquinas was one of the people who had tried to show that both can live in peace.


This is the Summa Theologica by St. Thomas Aquinas. This writing brought religion and science together to harmonize. ("Thomas of Aquin").



     If I were to be an influential figure in history, I would like to be known for removing someone who was abusing their power, such as Adolf Hitler, or bring freedom to a group of people who are being condemned or abused, such as slaves. For instance, I idolize Harriet Tubman for helping free many slaves from abuse. I believe freeing these people, the Jews and slaves, is the moral thing to do because they do not deserve it. These people were being abused and killed because those in power and with money had the ability to choose where anyone can be in the social class. But, these are instances in history where we learn how to prevent this from occurring again. Overall, bringing justice to those who do not deserve it is an act of nobility that God would want us to do.
     Growing up, I have mostly experienced mental and emotional growth/maturity. I have learned to become independent and responsible growing up because my mother gave me the highest expectations out of my two other siblings. I have gone through many personal challenges that have impacted my mentality and emotional growth, such as my sister's recent diagnosis of an autoimmune disease called Multiple Sclerosis. Also, many of my family members have passed away or had critical health issues growing up, so I learned how to cope with all the stress and emotional imbalance. Many people say that I do not show much of my emotions, but I do not think it is because of the bad things that had happened growing up. I learned from all the sad moments in my life and taught myself to know what is the reality. This is one out of all the amazing things that my mother has taught me and have benefitted me throughout my whole life.





Works Cited
Thomas of Aquin /from:Summa Theologica. Fine Art. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

     Prayer is a time to communicate with God. We use this time to converse many things, such as what we are grateful for or in times of need. To pray, an individual needs to find the right time. People can turn to prayer in dark or tough times, but prayer can be done when you are going through happy phases too. We related the list of things we are grateful for to help us with our daily prayers. There are also different types of prayers. There are silent or personal prayers where individuals recognize God's presence in silence. Lectio Divina is when individuals listen and discuss the Scripture. Written prayers are physically made by individuals, which is a letter to God. Written prayers can be done daily, which is known as journaling. There are two types of prayer meditation: guided meditation (leader guides) and personal meditation (silent or with music). Recited prayers consist of praying the rosary or reciting prayers such as the "Our Father." People can express their ...

The Beatitudes

     In this unit, I learned the Beatitudes are from the New Testament and is different from the Ten Commandments to an extent. On the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught his disciples the eight Beatitudes, which are the things and acts individuals should do. In the Old Testament, the Ten Commandments are things an individual should avoid and not follow. The Beatitudes can also be seen as "guidelines for happiness." The Beatitudes is a guideline for people to act and follow. This is a resemblance of what God hoped for us to be. This image represents Jesus teaching the Beatitudes. This shows the origin of how the Beatitudes were taught. (Fairchild, Mary) Labeled for non-commercial reuse      The beatitude that resonates with me is: "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." This beatitude states that individuals should always be gentle and humbly accept that we need God in everythi...

Discipleship

During each presentation, I have learned something new. Peter denied knowing Jesus three times but said he loved Jesus three time as well. James the Greater was one of three to see Jesus’ Transfiguration ( Catholic Online, director) . James the Lesser was the author of the first Catholic Epistle and was the first Bishop in Jerusalem. John was the only disciple that did not die a violent death, but a natural cause. Andrew passed away  by being crucified in an “X” shake because he felt that he was not worthy of being crucified the same way as Jesus. Bartholomew/Nathanael was known for miracles related to weighted objects. Judas was known for being the disciple that has betrayed Jesus by disclosing Jesus’ whereabouts for 30 pieces of silver. Matthias was not part of the original twelve disciples. Jude was crucified and was shot with arrows and his remains are buried in Rome. Matthew was a tax collector before becoming a disciple, which meant he switched the perspective of his job fro...