Skip to main content

Bridge to Present (Notre Dame Community)


     I found the history of the Sisters of Notre Dame to be very inspiring. Since Julie Billiart had a strong faith in God, I thought it was very inspiring that she shared her faith, at a young age, with other people. Today, I do not see many children being very dedicated towards their religion and wanting to spread it like Julie Billiart. I was not the only person who was impressed with the amount of passion Julie had for her faith. Blin de Bourdon was also inspired by her faith. Since Julie was paralyzed and could not walk, I was inspired because she never lost faith and she eventually gained full mobility of her legs. Through this major challenge in her life, she still managed to make a huge impact on the world, which was creating branches of schools using the title, Notre Dame.

     During the Alumnae Panel, a lot of the alumnae's advice was very useful. Many of the visitors said that if there was something they would change in their high school years, it would be to be more relaxed. Sam explained that she was involved in various extracurricular activities, so she wished she could enjoy school more by taking it slower. Also, one of the alumnae explained that getting into good colleges were much easier back then than now because more people are trying to go to college. This made me more determined to try and push myself academically. I also saw a pattern where, sometimes, life plans is not always going to turn out the way you want it to go. One of the alumnae's explained how her major did not work out, but she still managed to find a route she was happy with.

     To be part of the Notre Dame Community, I believe the students need to learn the Hallmarks, learn how to be a sister, and learn to be an individual prepared to contribute to better society. When students learn the Hallmarks and integrate it into their lives, they learn how to be sisters and know how to contribute to society. Because of the Hallmarks, the Notre Dame Community is a safe and comfortable environment. The Hallmarks gives the students an opportunity to learn new things, such as serving others. Serving the community in different ways is an opportunity to learn how the students want to continue to serve in the future. The Hallmarks teaches us to continue to spread the idea of doing good in the world and make an impact.

     When I leave Notre Dame, I want to keep the values of balance, service, and determination. When I move on to go to college and the outside world, I want to know how to keep balance in my life. I learned that without balance, life would be very stressful. I would also want to continue to serve my community whenever I can. I think service is one of the important things that are highlighted and integrated with my education. Out of all the values that I want to keep is determination. Determination is what I learned in high school and kept me motivated to get good grades. I would like to keep this value throughout my entire life to reach my full potential as a contributor to society. 



This image is one of my favorite images because it displays the huge amount of determination that doctors and surgeons have to save lives. I hope to one day serve the world by helping other people through health care (Andrei, Mihai).




Works Cited
Andrei, Mihai. “The History of a Picture That Changed the World.” ZME Science, ZME Science, 19 May 2016, www.zmescience.com/other/great-pics/zbigniew-religa-picture/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayer

     Prayer is a time to communicate with God. We use this time to converse many things, such as what we are grateful for or in times of need. To pray, an individual needs to find the right time. People can turn to prayer in dark or tough times, but prayer can be done when you are going through happy phases too. We related the list of things we are grateful for to help us with our daily prayers. There are also different types of prayers. There are silent or personal prayers where individuals recognize God's presence in silence. Lectio Divina is when individuals listen and discuss the Scripture. Written prayers are physically made by individuals, which is a letter to God. Written prayers can be done daily, which is known as journaling. There are two types of prayer meditation: guided meditation (leader guides) and personal meditation (silent or with music). Recited prayers consist of praying the rosary or reciting prayers such as the "Our Father." People can express their ...

The Beatitudes

     In this unit, I learned the Beatitudes are from the New Testament and is different from the Ten Commandments to an extent. On the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus taught his disciples the eight Beatitudes, which are the things and acts individuals should do. In the Old Testament, the Ten Commandments are things an individual should avoid and not follow. The Beatitudes can also be seen as "guidelines for happiness." The Beatitudes is a guideline for people to act and follow. This is a resemblance of what God hoped for us to be. This image represents Jesus teaching the Beatitudes. This shows the origin of how the Beatitudes were taught. (Fairchild, Mary) Labeled for non-commercial reuse      The beatitude that resonates with me is: "Blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth." This beatitude states that individuals should always be gentle and humbly accept that we need God in everythi...

Discipleship

During each presentation, I have learned something new. Peter denied knowing Jesus three times but said he loved Jesus three time as well. James the Greater was one of three to see Jesus’ Transfiguration ( Catholic Online, director) . James the Lesser was the author of the first Catholic Epistle and was the first Bishop in Jerusalem. John was the only disciple that did not die a violent death, but a natural cause. Andrew passed away  by being crucified in an “X” shake because he felt that he was not worthy of being crucified the same way as Jesus. Bartholomew/Nathanael was known for miracles related to weighted objects. Judas was known for being the disciple that has betrayed Jesus by disclosing Jesus’ whereabouts for 30 pieces of silver. Matthias was not part of the original twelve disciples. Jude was crucified and was shot with arrows and his remains are buried in Rome. Matthew was a tax collector before becoming a disciple, which meant he switched the perspective of his job fro...